All students enrolled at Medical University of South Carolina are responsible for maintaining health insurance and providing coverage information each semester of enrollment in their programs.
All students enrolled at Medical University of South Carolina that wish to opt-out of the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) must submit alternate coverage information through the Academic HealthPlans Waiver System. In order to be approved for a waiver, your alternate health coverage must meet the requirements listed below and be submitted with proof documentation prior to the February 1, 2019 deadline.
Please review the requirements below prior to submitting your waiver request.
1. Plan must be fully compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA):
· Provide the Essential Minimum Benefits required by the ACA with no annual limits. A list of the Essential Minimum Benefits can be found here:https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/essential-health-benefits/
· Contain no exclusions for pre-existing conditions.
· Covers 100% of Preventive Care as defined by the ACA. A list of these preventive services can be found here:https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage/preventive-care-benefits/.
2. Coverage must be effective on or before January 1, 2019.
3. Coverage must extend through the semester including breaks and holidays.
4. Alternate insurance must provide full benefits in the state of South Carolina.
In addition, International Students:
5. Proof of Repatriation and medical evacuation expenses in the combined amount of no less than $50,000. If the health plan does not include medical evacuation and repatriation, a rider must be purchased providing coverage at equal limits to the SHIP.
NOTE: The following plan(s) will NOT be acceptable for waiver approval for Domestic and International waiver submissions:
· Healthcare Sharing Plans are not accepted.
· Short-term coverage plans are not accepted.
· Financial Assistance plans are not accepted.
· Travel plans or plans that require you to pay for treatment yourself and then apply for reimbursement are not accepted.
Domestic Students click here to submit your waiver request or enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan
International Students click here to submit your waiver request or enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan